Project supported by The Estuary Basketball League
Gabon has about 2.11 million inhabitants, 54% of whom being under 25. Anxious about the fulfilment of so big a number of youngsters, the National Office for the Development of Sport and Culture has drawn the National Development Plan, which has set several major objectives among which we can note the use of sport to promote the local populations’ well-being, social cohesion and more broadly the economic and social development of Gabon. Sports participation is particularly harder outside the academic framework of specific sports academies.
The Estuary Basketball League (EBL) is introducing a girl-specific sporting programme in response to the national demand for basketball with girls as the project’s main target.
- Motivating and animating girls’ practice of basketball as from a young age;
- Assisting the clubs in the creation of women sections in their team workforce;
- Involving and equipping the women in the management of the (basketball) team;
- Assisting the clubs in the implementation of a business model, to help them create their own resources for funding their activities.
- Organising introductory and advanced basketball sessions;
- Organising advanced training camps for the best young girls and for the coaches;
- Training partner club managers on the strategies for implementing a business model.
- 100 players and female coaches shall be equipped.
- Young girls practising sport regularly (all year long)
- Detection of young girl players in the schools by the partner clubs
- Integration of young girl players from the schools in the 6 partner clubs.