Project supported by AGORA
With the epidemiological transition in Senegal, the number of people suffering from one or several chronic diseases is steadily growing. One out of every three Senegalese citizens has a chronic disease and 85% of the deaths are due to chronic diseases according to AGORA. Saint-Louis is the worst-hit province by chronic diseases in Senegal with high hypertension (46%), diabetes (10,4%), obesity (23%) prevalence. These pathologies represent an increasingly heavier burden for patients and the health system. In addition, over 65% of the population of the province are sedentary. The patients living in the province are still inactive on account of a glaring lack of suitable sporting facilities and programmes.
Faced with such a situation, Agora Association has introduced this programme free of charge during the first 6 months with a view to building the physical and mental capacity of vulnerable patients through inducement to sport, one-to-one coaching and sensitisation.
- Improving physical health, mental health, and the quality of living by setting up a physical and sporting activity programme tailored to persons with chronic diseases referred by their physicians
- Making concrete the implementation of the policies for combatting chronic diseases and their integration into the community
- Design the prescription of tailored physical and sporting activity by health professionals
- Develop diversified, proximity and quality sport health services for sedentary people suffering from chronic pathologies
- Limiting the pathology’s impact and progression, creating the social bond, preventing other pathologies to appear, limiting the loss of empowerment
- Building a multidisciplinary room to facilitate such practices as bodybuilding, gymnastics, yoga, tai-chi, dancing, aqua gym, and swimming
- Sensitising on sporting opportunities for preventing and fighting chronic diseases, and formulating community actions
- Partnership with the health personnel and research institutions for the development of tools for evaluating comportments, the quality of living, and for the production of a study report for knowledge sharing
- Organising free sensitisation workshops on the good nutritional habits tailored to the various pathologies
- The project plans every year, to recruit 300 adults (150 adults per cycle) with at least one of the following pathologies: type 2 diabetes, hypertension, cardio-vascular diseases, and obesity.
- The project’s direct beneficiary family members and all the population of Saint-Louis who will be sensitised on sport and health