A project managed by Fútbol Más
Extreme poverty, alcoholism, violence and sexual abuse are part of daily life for the people living in the Mathare slum, one of the largest slums in Nairobi. Even when children are not the victims of such violence, they encounter difficulties in gaining access to quality education and safe spaces for recreation.
In 2017, the association Fútbol Más launched its activities in Mathare, using football as a means of creating safe spaces for young people and developing their leadership skills. Having organised various weekly sessions of social and sports activities, held community meetings with parents and trained a team of 17 local coordinators, Fútbol Más now wants to ensure the full ownership of the programme by the local community.
- Ensure the ownership and independence of the programme and the Fútbol Más methodology by the Mathare communities and, in particular, by community leaders and schools
- Create safe spaces where young people can play sports
- Promote sustainable and more resilient communities
- Establishing social and sports sessions led by the programme’s young community leaders under the supervision of two Fútbol Más professionals
- Organising Fútbol Más leagues (intercommunity events)
- Ensuring ongoing training for young leaders and the community coordination team, provided by two Fútbol Más professionals
Find out more about the work of Fútbol Más in Kenya
- More than 400 weekly social and sports sessions have been held
- 210 child beneficiaries, 54% of them girls
- 17 young leaders have been trained in the Fútbol Más methodology
- More than 30% of parents are involved in the community programme
- Project cost: around €31,000
- Project supported in 2019 by the Agence Française de Développement and the European Guild
You are the manager of this project and you wish to modify/complete this form ? Do not hesitate to contact us through your account !