Giants of Africa : creating pathway for youth through sports
An initiative by Masai Ujiri
The number of African players in the world’s major basketball leagues is increasing. The continent is full of talented young players who are capable of playing top-level basketball at national and international levels.
Many careers are hampered by limited access to qualified coaching, decent equipment and quality facilities.
Giants of Africa has contributed to the development and advancement of talented young players by constructing basketball courts in several African cities and launching outreach programmes in the most disadvantaged communities.
- Train and support talented young African players in the first steps towards their professional careers
- Awareness-raising and support for young people from disadvantaged communities
- Promote values such as hard work, self-confidence, responsibility and perseverance
- Enable future star players to learn the standards of play used in the major leagues
- Holding basketball camps and establishing academies in African countries
- Constructing sports facilities in host towns and communities
- Providing long-term support and granting scholarships to disadvantaged young people
- Organising charity matches in aid of orphanages
Discover Giants of Africa in Nigeria – 2017
- Sports facilities have been established in 17 African countries
- Over 100 young people from the programme have gone on to attend US and Canadian high schools and universities
- Over 65 former participants have attended the annual NBA Basketball Without Borders camp in Africa
- Around 25 former participants have played on junior teams of clubs across Europe
- Many young people who have been inspired by basketball have gone on to become doctors, lawyers, entrepreneurs, teachers, etc.
You are the manager of this project and you wish to modify/complete this form ? Do not hesitate to contact us through your account !
@Crédit photo : Giants of Africa