A project managed by Special Olympics
A project managed by Grassroot Soccer
According to a United Nations report, more than 220 million cases of malaria occur globally each year. In 2018, 25% of all cases were recorded in Nigeria, the most affected country, where around 30% of the population live in high-risk areas and 67% in moderate-risk areas. The HIV/AIDS prevalence rate in Nigeria is estimated at around 1.4% among people aged 15 to 49.
Using suitable educational methods, SKILLZ For Life uses the power of football to educate, raise awareness and provide tools and services to prevent malaria and HIV/AIDS among disadvantaged groups, in particular young people with intellectual disabilities and their relatives.
- Promote the social inclusion of young people with intellectual disabilities, boost their knowledge of various health-related issues and foster their self-development through football
- Improve the knowledge and behaviours of disadvantaged persons in relation to sexual health
- Bolster the self-confidence of young beneficiaries of the programme
- Encourage the adoption of good habits and the use of testing services to reduce the spread of diseases
- Contribute to reducing sexual abuse, stigmatisation and gender-based violence in communities
- Organisation of awareness-raising events to coincide with international days on combating malaria and HIV/AIDS
- Provision of free counselling sessions and establishment of a platform for advice and voluntary malaria and HIV/AIDS testing
- Distribution of mosquito nets, medicines and protection kits
- Treatment and follow-up of persons who tested positive for malaria or HIV/AIDS
- Almost 9,000 sports programme participants between 2015 and 2018
- More than 7,000 mosquito nets, medicines and protection kits distributed
- More than 7,700 beneficiaries of advice and voluntary malaria testing
- 540 persons who tested positive between 2015 and 2018 (534 cases of malaria and 6 cases of HIV) benefited from treatment through community partners
- Project supported by the ExxonMobil foundation
You are the manager of this project and you wish to modify/complete this form ? Do not hesitate to contact us through your account !