A project managed by Promo Jeune Basket
Un projet soutenu par l'association En Avant les Enfants
Goma, a city on the border with Rwanda, has been at the centre of civil wars in the region. The city has a population of more than 1 million people, almost half of whom are refugees.
To make matters worse, Goma was devastated in 2002 by the eruption of the Nyiragongo volcano and the region remains the epicentre of endless rebellions.
By offering young people the chance to acquire essential life skills through basketball and by placing them at the heart of community development, Promo Jeune Basket has become a key player in the region.
- Promote life values among Goma’s young people through basketball practice
- Mobilise young people and improve the quality of education
- Develop the autonomy, perseverance, discipline, teamwork and responsible citizenship of young future leaders
- Building training grounds and providing equipment
- Holding regular basketball camps (for girls and boys aged 4 to 18)
- Organising sessions for young persons with disabilities
- Recruiting and training qualified coaches and teachers
- Awarding annual educational scholarships
See Promo Jeune Basket’s work in action (video available in French only)
- Six sites built and set up in the Goma region
- More than 1,255 young people (64% boys, 36% girls) have benefited from the academy’s programmes
- 150 young people receive educational scholarships from the academy each year
- Six players from the academy have been selected to play for the national under-18 basketball team
- Creation of jobs linked directly to the management of Promo Jeune Basket’s activities
- Reducing crime in the region’s communities
- Partnerships with sporting associations for the use of the training grounds
- Project actively supported by the association En Avant les Enfants since 2012
You are the manager of this project and you wish to modify/complete this form ? Do not hesitate to contact us through your account !